Avoid California Car Accidents with Tips to Stop Yourself from Distracted Driving
Even though motorists know the dangers of cell phone use while driving, statistics from the California Office of Traffic Safety Annual Report 2019 indicate that many of them have concerns about other drivers engaging in hazardous activities. Survey results indicate that 37.8 percent of respondents believe distracted driving because of texting is the biggest safety threat, and 30.6 percent feel the same way about talking on the phone. Plus, there are many other forms of distracted driving that do not involve cell phone usage, but which can be equally dangerous.
You likely share in these concerns, but also recognize that the temptation to take your attention away from the road can be strong. The best way you can protect yourself is by heeding a few tips on how to avoid distracted driving car accidents in Oakland.
- Stow the Phone Out of Reach: If you have your phone in a pocket or purse while driving, you may not be able to overcome the enticement to grab it. When it rings, a text message comes through, or you are stopped at a light, you are better able to stay safe and comply with the law if you keep it out of reach. There are also apps you can download that will disable your phone when you are behind the wheel.
- Stop Fiddling with the Radio: Though not illegal, interacting with your vehicle’s audio system is just as dangerous as using your phone. Adjusting the volume, forwarding through a song, or changing channels takes your attention and manual effort away from driving the car.
- Pull Over to Use the GPS: Many motorists rely on a GPS to get around, but utilizing its features while driving requires the same interaction as a cell phone. You need to type in details, review directions, and engage with it for other functions. Plug in the route to your destination before you put the car in gear, and pull over safely if you need to make adjustments.
- The Refreshments Can Wait: Grabbing a snack or quick bite may be an ideal way of starting your commute, but even eating and drinking can lead to dangerous distractions. You should wait until you arrive before enjoying a meal; if you need your cup of morning joe, use the cup holders and only drink when stopped.
- Drive Now, Groom Later: You might think multitasking is a great time-saver, but avoid the urge to do your hair, apply makeup, or shave while driving. You put others at risk of auto accidents, but you could also injure yourself if you need to stop abruptly.
Talk to an Oakland Car Accident Attorney About Your Rights
These tips can help you avoid distracted driving and, in turn, reduce the risk of being involved in an auto crash. However, not all motorists are as careful, and their negligence often leads to serious collisions. If you were hurt in a car accident, please contact our Oakland car accident lawyers at Venardi Zurada, LLP to set up a free consultation at our offices.
You can be confident in relying on our zealous and effective Oakland personal injury lawyers:
We have served Northern California for over 35 years.
Our attorneys have been honored with numerous accolades, including SuperLawyers, AV Rating, and Top 100 Trial Attorney Awards.
In our decades of legal service to the community, we have garnered a substantial reputation. We are respected by opposing counsel, feared by insurance companies, and followed by jurors.
We combine Big Firm experience with boutique office attention and care. Several of our attorneys have experience working for the biggest law firms in the country, including the most prominent maritime defense law firm. Our attorneys rely on that big-firm know-how but prefer the personal touch of a smaller firm, allowing us to provide individualized and attentive representation to each of our clients.
We’ve been through it, too. Attorney Mark Venardi had to personally deal with a medical malpractice injury he suffered at a time when he was working a blue-collar job on an offshore oil rig; he knows what it’s like to be a working man dealing with a personal injury. He built his way up to working for the biggest maritime defense firm in the country, before deciding to focus on helping people like himself who were hurt by negligence and mistreatment from others.
We like to fight for the underdog. Attorney Martin Zurada is an immigrant and the son of immigrants who tirelessly worked his way up through education and experience to attain the American dream. Even though he has served in large, high-level litigation law firms, he prefers helping clients directly, fighting against injustices, and securing victories for the little guy who has been wronged.
We win. We have secured multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. In our combined tenure, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients across our broad areas of practice.
We care first and foremost about our clients. We dedicate ourselves to serve each and every client personally, and we make ourselves available to our clients around the clock.
There is no cost to you until we win. If we don’t make a recovery for you, we will not collect a fee. And all initial consultations are free of charge.
Dedicated Areas of Practice
We offer a wide range of litigation services for Oakland personal injury and employment law clients. Specifically, our areas of dedicated practice span the following issues:
Employment Law. California employers must assure proper pay to employees and comply with a variety of rules and regulations to prevent discrimination and unfair treatment of employees. We represent victims of wage and hour violations, employment discrimination, workplace harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and any other form of California workplace mistreatment. If you believe you were treated inappropriately at work, we can help.
Personal Injury. If you’ve been injured due to another’s negligence, you deserve compensation. That’s where we come in. As Oakland personal injury attorneys, we right the wrongs done to our clients. And we do it at our cost during the entire duration of your case. There is never any fee until we win. Give us a call if you have been hurt in a car accident, by a toxic spill or contamination, as a result of medical malpractice, due to abuse or neglect, in a maritime accident, by a vicious animal attack, or any other incident caused by someone else’s negligence.
The Sooner You Speak to an Oakland Injury Lawyer, the Stronger Your Chances for Recovery Will Become.
Contact the Oakland injury lawyers at Venardi Zurada today, and let’s get started. We are available to talk any time, so whether you call, email or chat online, we’ll respond and set up an appointment to meet you. We have several Spanish speakers in the office and welcome the opportunity to cater our services to Oakland’s Spanish-speaking population. You pay no fee until we win for you, so you have nothing to lose by contacting our office for a free consultation. The sooner you call, the faster we can start getting results for you. Call 925-937-3900.