Oakland Retaliation and Wrongful Termination Lawyers
The right to be treated fairly in your place of employment is fundamental. Discrimination, harassment, and wrongful termination are not only damaging; they are illegal. If you have been fired from your job for exercising your legal rights or because of your membership in a protected class, you have the right to hold your employer accountable for their illegal acts.
The Oakland retaliation and wrongful termination attorneys at Venardi Zurada have decades of combined experience helping California employees who have suffered illegal and inappropriate treatment at the hands of their employers. Let us help you investigate the circumstances of your termination and prove that your employer acted against California or federal laws. Regardless of your industry, and regardless of your circumstances, you do not have to accept the injustice of a wrongful termination. We can help you fight back.
What Constitutes Wrongful Termination in California?
California is generally an “at-will” state for employees, meaning that employers are free to let employees go for almost any reason or no reason at all. Employers are subject to restrictions on termination and severance requirements in the employment contracts they provide, but they are otherwise free to terminate employees as they like. They are not, however, allowed to terminate an employee for certain, specific, illegal reasons. Wrongful termination is a civil remedy available for a California worker who was fired for an improper or illegal reason.
In California, a fired worker can bring a wrongful termination lawsuit if they were fired for any of the following reasons:
- The employee was terminated because of their race, religion, sex, gender, political affiliation, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic
- The employee was terminated because they exercised or tried to exercise their legal rights as an employee, including:
- Taking family and medical leave
- Taking time off to serve on a jury
- Filing a workers’ compensation claim
- Complaining internally or externally about sexual harassment, discrimination, or other inappropriate workplace conduct
- Requesting reasonable accommodation for a disability
- Getting pregnant
- Complaining about illegal wage and hour practices
- Participating as a witness in a lawsuit against the employer alleging harassment, wage and hour violations, or other unlawful conduct
- The employee was terminated or retaliated against for being a “whistleblower,” meaning they reported illegal activity of their employer internally within the company or to a government or law enforcement agency
- The employee was terminated for exercising their free speech rights in connection with political activity
If you have been removed from your position or retaliated against for any improper reason, you might have a claim for retaliation or wrongful termination. Speak with a knowledgeable California wrongful termination attorney about the circumstances of your firing in order to determine whether you were the victim of an illegal firing, and to learn about the remedies available to you.
Damages Available After a Wrongful Termination
“If you have been removed from your position or retaliated against for any improper reason, you might have a claim for retaliation or wrongful termination. The wrongful termination employees at Venardi Zurada help wrongfully-terminated workers in Oakland recover damages such as the following:
- Lost wages and benefits. Employees are entitled to the wages they lost from the date of termination to the date of the court verdict, as well as an estimate of the wages they would have earned until the date they would likely have ceased working for the company. Terminated workers are also entitled to the value of lost past and future fringe benefits.
- Emotional distress, pain and suffering, and loss of professional reputation. If the loss of your job caused you significant emotional distress, ruined your reputation in the community or affected your ability to get future work, or caused physical problems, you might be entitled to additional damages.
- Attorney fees. Attorney fees may be available, depending on the nature of the claim. For example, plaintiffs bringing claims under California’s Fair Employment and Housing Act can seek attorney fees.
- Punitive damages. If the employer was guilty of particularly egregious wrongdoing, such as if the conduct that led to the wrongful termination was long-standing, widespread, repeated, and deliberate, then a worker might be able to recover punitive damages. Punitive damages are added on top of the funds necessary to compensate the victim for the harm they suffered and are intended to punish the wrongdoer.
Oakland Retaliation and Wrongful Termination Lawyers Ready to Help You
If you and your family have been the victims of harassment, discrimination, or wrongful termination, you could be entitled to reinstatement and additional compensation. Reach out to the Oakland wrongful termination attorneys at Venardi Zurada today for a free case review. When you work with us, you won’t pay until you win your case. Call us at 925-937-3900 to speak with one of our dedicated and passionate employment law attorneys.
You can be confident in relying on our zealous and effective Oakland personal injury lawyers:
We have served Northern California for over 35 years.
Our attorneys have been honored with numerous accolades, including SuperLawyers, AV Rating, and Top 100 Trial Attorney Awards.
In our decades of legal service to the community, we have garnered a substantial reputation. We are respected by opposing counsel, feared by insurance companies, and followed by jurors.
We combine Big Firm experience with boutique office attention and care. Several of our attorneys have experience working for the biggest law firms in the country, including the most prominent maritime defense law firm. Our attorneys rely on that big-firm know-how but prefer the personal touch of a smaller firm, allowing us to provide individualized and attentive representation to each of our clients.
We’ve been through it, too. Attorney Mark Venardi had to personally deal with a medical malpractice injury he suffered at a time when he was working a blue-collar job on an offshore oil rig; he knows what it’s like to be a working man dealing with a personal injury. He built his way up to working for the biggest maritime defense firm in the country, before deciding to focus on helping people like himself who were hurt by negligence and mistreatment from others.
We like to fight for the underdog. Attorney Martin Zurada is an immigrant and the son of immigrants who tirelessly worked his way up through education and experience to attain the American dream. Even though he has served in large, high-level litigation law firms, he prefers helping clients directly, fighting against injustices, and securing victories for the little guy who has been wronged.
We win. We have secured multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. In our combined tenure, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients across our broad areas of practice.
We care first and foremost about our clients. We dedicate ourselves to serve each and every client personally, and we make ourselves available to our clients around the clock.
There is no cost to you until we win. If we don’t make a recovery for you, we will not collect a fee. And all initial consultations are free of charge.
Dedicated Areas of Practice
We offer a wide range of litigation services for Oakland personal injury and employment law clients. Specifically, our areas of dedicated practice span the following issues:
Employment Law. California employers must assure proper pay to employees and comply with a variety of rules and regulations to prevent discrimination and unfair treatment of employees. We represent victims of wage and hour violations, employment discrimination, workplace harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and any other form of California workplace mistreatment. If you believe you were treated inappropriately at work, we can help.
Personal Injury. If you’ve been injured due to another’s negligence, you deserve compensation. That’s where we come in. As Oakland personal injury attorneys, we right the wrongs done to our clients. And we do it at our cost during the entire duration of your case. There is never any fee until we win. Give us a call if you have been hurt in a car accident, by a toxic spill or contamination, as a result of medical malpractice, due to abuse or neglect, in a maritime accident, by a vicious animal attack, or any other incident caused by someone else’s negligence.
The Sooner You Speak to an Oakland Injury Lawyer, the Stronger Your Chances for Recovery Will Become.
Contact the Oakland injury lawyers at Venardi Zurada today, and let’s get started. We are available to talk any time, so whether you call, email or chat online, we’ll respond and set up an appointment to meet you. We have several Spanish speakers in the office and welcome the opportunity to cater our services to Oakland’s Spanish-speaking population. You pay no fee until we win for you, so you have nothing to lose by contacting our office for a free consultation. The sooner you call, the faster we can start getting results for you. Call 925-937-3900.