Oakland Car Accident Lawyer
Each year there are over ten million vehicle accidents in the United States. In 2019, car accidents claimed the lives of 38,800 people. That represents a more than 16 percent increase from the 32,675 motor vehicle fatalities in 2014, meaning there has been an increase of more than 6,000 traffic deaths annually in just five years. Close to ten percent of those annual fatalities happen in California. The majority of these crashes could be avoided if everyone on the road took proper care and responsibility when they get behind the wheel.
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car crash, Oakland car accident lawyers Venardi Zurada are ready to help you through this difficult time and work with you to seek compensation for your injuries and losses. Whether the driver who hit you was guilty of drunk driving or a minor traffic violation, if you have been seriously injured in a car accident involving a negligent driver, we can help.
What Should I Do After a Car Accident?
If you have been injured in a car crash, there are a few important steps to take. Following these guidelines will both ensure that everyone involved gets the medical attention they need and will preserve your legal rights, avoiding unnecessary liability for yourself, and strengthening your claims against the drivers responsible for your injuries.
Our dedicated Oakland car crash lawyers recommend the following:
Make sure everyone is safe.
- Remain at the scene. Do not leave the accident scene until you have fulfilled all legal requirements.
- Assess whether you and your vehicle are in a safe place. If your car is in an unsafe place where you may suffer further injury or cause injury to others, move it to a safe location if you are able.
- Assess whether you or anyone in your vehicle requires immediate medical care.
- Follow the instructions of the first responders (police, fire, or medical providers).
- Check on drivers and passengers in all vehicles involved in the accident. Your first concern should be the health and safety of everyone at the scene.
- Seek medical care for all of your injuries. If you require emergency attention, do not delay. If you wait until after reporting the accident, it is still important to see a doctor as soon as you can. If you suffered any physical injuries, the sooner you seek medical care, the better. Be sure to explain all of your symptoms to the healthcare professionals, or they will not be able to treat your injuries fully.
Report the accident and fulfill your legal requirements.
- Call 911 if there has been any personal injury, death, or significant property damage, or if other circumstances at the scene require the presence of the police. For example, if you suspect that another driver was driving while intoxicated or if debris needs to be removed from a roadway, the authorities should be notified right away.
- Exchange information with all other drivers, passengers, and witnesses.
- Take the names, phone numbers, addresses, insurance information, license plate numbers, and driver’s license numbers of drivers, passengers, and witnesses.
- Ask witnesses what they saw, and as indicated above, take down all of the witness contact information.
- Take pictures at the scene, if possible, including pictures of your vehicle and the other vehicles involved.
Be careful what you say after the accident.
- You and your loved ones get the medical attention you need, preserve your legal rights, and strengthen your claims against the drivers responsible for your injuries.
- When in any doubt call the police to write up a report of the collision so that the responsible drivers call be held accountable for the injuries they caused.
- Take pictures at the scene, if possible, including pictures of your vehicle, the other vehicles involved (including license plates), and any driver’s licenses and insurance cards.
- Avoid discussing the accident with other drivers or on your social media. Limit discussions about the accident with anyone, even family and friends, because insurance companies will try to minimize and downplay your injuries.
- Sometimes these adjusters will attempt to obtain information and even ask to take a recorded statement from you. Remember the insurance adjuster has been extensively trained to minimize your injuries and to take advantage of you before you have been able to hire an attorney to advise you and protect your rights.
- Often, insurance adjusters will contact victims of car accidents after the accident, especially if their insured driver was at fault. Be cautious when speaking with them, as they typically do not have your best interest at heart. Sometimes these adjusters will attempt to obtain information and even ask to take a recorded statement from you. You should not agree to provide information without first consulting an attorney, and you should certainly not agree to a settlement before talking to a lawyer.
Recovering Damages After an Oakland Car Accident
If you were hurt in a car crash in Oakland, you have the right to seek recovery for your injuries against the driver who caused the crash. With the help of a seasoned and effective California car accident lawyer, you can prove that the driver who caused the collision was acting negligently and should thus be held liable for the injuries and harm they have caused. Whether they were driving drunk, driving drowsy, driving while texting, or violating some other safety rule or norm, if their negligent behavior caused you injury, you might be entitled to monetary compensation.
After a car accident in California, you can seek economic damages such as the following:
- Medical expenses that you have incurred, as well as estimated future costs
- Lost income for missed work time
- Property damage
You can also seek “noneconomic damages,” meaning damages that are harder to quantify but no less real after a serious accident. Noneconomic damages include things like:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of companionship
- Emotional distress
Speak with a dedicated Oakland car accident lawyer about your accident to learn what damages might be available to you. The sooner you call, the sooner you can start building and pursuing your case for recovery.
Call a Dedicated Oakland Car Crash Lawyer
If you or someone you care about has been injured in a car accident, contact the car accident professionals at Venardi Zurada, LLP. Call 925-937-3900 or contact us online today for a free consultation. If we accept your case, you will never pay us anything unless we obtain a recovery for you.
You can be confident in relying on our zealous and effective Oakland litigators:
We have served Northern California for over 35 years.
Our attorneys have been honored with numerous accolades, including SuperLawyers, AV Rating, and Top 100 Trial Attorney Awards.
In our decades of legal service to the community, we have garnered a substantial reputation. We are respected by opposing counsel, feared by insurance companies, and followed by jurors.
We combine Big Firm experience with boutique office attention and care. Several of our attorneys have experience working for the biggest law firms in the country, including the most prominent maritime defense law firm. Our attorneys rely on that big-firm know-how but prefer the personal touch of a smaller firm, allowing us to provide individualized and attentive representation to each of our clients.
We’ve been through it, too. Attorney Mark Venardi had to personally deal with a medical malpractice injury he suffered at a time when he was working a blue-collar job on an offshore oil rig; he knows what it’s like to be a working man dealing with a personal injury. He built his way up to working for the biggest maritime defense firm in the country, before deciding to focus on helping people like himself who were hurt by negligence and mistreatment from others.
We like to fight for the underdog. Attorney Martin Zurada is an immigrant and the son of immigrants who tirelessly worked his way up through education and experience to attain the American dream. Even though he has served in large, high-level litigation law firms, he prefers helping clients directly, fighting against injustices, and securing victories for the little guy who has been wronged.
We win. We have secured multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. In our combined tenure, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients across our broad areas of practice.
We care first and foremost about our clients. We dedicate ourselves to serve each and every client personally, and we make ourselves available to our clients around the clock.
There is no cost to you until we win. If we don’t make a recovery for you, we will not collect a fee. And all initial consultations are free of charge.
Dedicated Areas of Practice
We offer a wide range of litigation services for Oakland personal injury and employment law clients. Specifically, our areas of dedicated practice span the following issues:
Employment Law. California employers must assure proper pay to employees and comply with a variety of rules and regulations to prevent discrimination and unfair treatment of employees. We represent victims of wage and hour violations, employment discrimination, workplace harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and any other form of California workplace mistreatment. If you believe you were treated inappropriately at work, we can help.
Personal Injury. If you’ve been injured due to another’s negligence, you deserve compensation. That’s where we come in. As Oakland personal injury attorneys, we right the wrongs done to our clients. And we do it at our cost during the entire duration of your case. There is never any fee until we win. Give us a call if you have been hurt in a car accident, by a toxic spill or contamination, as a result of medical malpractice, due to abuse or neglect, in a maritime accident, by a vicious animal attack, or any other incident caused by someone else’s negligence.
The Sooner You Speak to an Attorney, the Stronger Your Chances for Recovery Will Become.
Contact the Oakland litigation attorneys at Venardi Zurada today, and let’s get started. We are available to talk any time, so whether you call, email or chat online, we’ll respond and set up an appointment to meet you. We have several Spanish speakers in the office and welcome the opportunity to cater our services to Oakland’s Spanish-speaking population. You pay no fee until we win for you, so you have nothing to lose by contacting our office for a free consultation. The sooner you call, the faster we can start getting results for you. Call 925-937-3900.