4 Traffic Laws California Motorists Do NOT Follow
Even if you are careful, attentive, and follow all Rules of the Road established by the California Department of Motor Vehicles, not everyone is as cautious and law-abiding. During any given trip, you are sharing the road with motorists who do not comply with the rules intended for everyone’s safety. Some are in a rush to get to their final destination, while others failed to spot a traffic signal or did not see a vehicle traveling in their blind spot.
Regardless of the reasons, drivers who do not abide by traffic laws put others at risk of serious motor vehicle collisions. You could be injured while traveling in a car, riding your bicycle, or walking, so you should talk to an Oakland car accidents attorney right away about your legal options. You are also in a better position to protect yourself when you know the top traffic laws other drivers ignore.
- Speed Limit Laws: Officials base speed limits on many different factors, including road conditions, traffic patterns, surrounding physical characteristics, and others. When motorists do not comply, the effects of these factors are magnified. Speeding drivers have less time to identify a threat, make a decision on how to react, and take evasive maneuvers, increasing the potential for serious crashes.
- Ban on Cell Phone Use: Despite laws prohibiting texting, talking on the phone, and other cell phone use, too many motorists still refuse to put down their portable devices while driving. Interacting with a phone requires visual, manual, and cognitive tasks, all of which affect the ability to safely operate the vehicle. Plus, there are other forms of distracted driving that can be dangerous, including eating, drinking, grooming, and adjusting the radio.
- Traffic Signs and Signals: There are obvious traffic violations when a motorist blows through a red light or stop sign, but other subtle acts are against the law and equally dangerous. The potential for severe auto crashes increases when a driver:
- Fails to come to a complete stop before turning right;
- Hits the gas pedal to make it through a yellow light;
- Makes an illegal left turn or lane change; or,
- Turns right at an intersection where prohibited by signs.
In addition, you should note that some traffic laws are not governed by signage. Rules on right-of-way and yielding are usually not posted, and many drivers are not aware of them.
- Drunk Driving Laws: California is harsh on DUI, but some motorists still engage in “tipsy” driving after a few drinks. This is risky because their driving may be impaired – even when under the legal limit of .08 percent blood alcohol concentration (BAC).
Get Legal Help from an Oakland Car Accidents Lawyer
At Venardi Zurada, LLP, our attorneys are dedicated to protecting your rights and getting fair compensation after you were hurt in a crash that was not your fault. For more information on our legal services, please contact us to set up a free consultation at our offices.
You can be confident in relying on our zealous and effective Oakland personal injury lawyers:
We have served Northern California for over 35 years.
Our attorneys have been honored with numerous accolades, including SuperLawyers, AV Rating, and Top 100 Trial Attorney Awards.
In our decades of legal service to the community, we have garnered a substantial reputation. We are respected by opposing counsel, feared by insurance companies, and followed by jurors.
We combine Big Firm experience with boutique office attention and care. Several of our attorneys have experience working for the biggest law firms in the country, including the most prominent maritime defense law firm. Our attorneys rely on that big-firm know-how but prefer the personal touch of a smaller firm, allowing us to provide individualized and attentive representation to each of our clients.
We’ve been through it, too. Attorney Mark Venardi had to personally deal with a medical malpractice injury he suffered at a time when he was working a blue-collar job on an offshore oil rig; he knows what it’s like to be a working man dealing with a personal injury. He built his way up to working for the biggest maritime defense firm in the country, before deciding to focus on helping people like himself who were hurt by negligence and mistreatment from others.
We like to fight for the underdog. Attorney Martin Zurada is an immigrant and the son of immigrants who tirelessly worked his way up through education and experience to attain the American dream. Even though he has served in large, high-level litigation law firms, he prefers helping clients directly, fighting against injustices, and securing victories for the little guy who has been wronged.
We win. We have secured multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. In our combined tenure, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients across our broad areas of practice.
We care first and foremost about our clients. We dedicate ourselves to serve each and every client personally, and we make ourselves available to our clients around the clock.
There is no cost to you until we win. If we don’t make a recovery for you, we will not collect a fee. And all initial consultations are free of charge.
Dedicated Areas of Practice
We offer a wide range of litigation services for Oakland personal injury and employment law clients. Specifically, our areas of dedicated practice span the following issues:
Employment Law. California employers must assure proper pay to employees and comply with a variety of rules and regulations to prevent discrimination and unfair treatment of employees. We represent victims of wage and hour violations, employment discrimination, workplace harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and any other form of California workplace mistreatment. If you believe you were treated inappropriately at work, we can help.
Personal Injury. If you’ve been injured due to another’s negligence, you deserve compensation. That’s where we come in. As Oakland personal injury attorneys, we right the wrongs done to our clients. And we do it at our cost during the entire duration of your case. There is never any fee until we win. Give us a call if you have been hurt in a car accident, by a toxic spill or contamination, as a result of medical malpractice, due to abuse or neglect, in a maritime accident, by a vicious animal attack, or any other incident caused by someone else’s negligence.
The Sooner You Speak to an Oakland Injury Lawyer, the Stronger Your Chances for Recovery Will Become.
Contact the Oakland injury lawyers at Venardi Zurada today, and let’s get started. We are available to talk any time, so whether you call, email or chat online, we’ll respond and set up an appointment to meet you. We have several Spanish speakers in the office and welcome the opportunity to cater our services to Oakland’s Spanish-speaking population. You pay no fee until we win for you, so you have nothing to lose by contacting our office for a free consultation. The sooner you call, the faster we can start getting results for you. Call 925-937-3900.