Shocking Statistics On Pedestrian Accidents In Oakland
California ranks in the Top 10 for pedestrian accidents in the US, but a closer look at the city and county data reveals how certain regions are more dangerous than others. The California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) prepares rankings of municipalities and counties within the state, grouping them according to population. The Bay Area fares poorly when it comes to pedestrian accidents, with Oakland ranking #3 of 15 cities for the highest number of casualties. More than 300 people on foot are killed or injured every year. Across Alameda County, there are approximately 765 pedestrians affected by crashes, putting the county at #6 out of 58.
These statistics are enough to motivate you to take extra precautions when walking and always comply with traffic regulations. Unfortunately, you cannot escape negligent motorists, so the risk of harm persists. You do have rights if you were hurt, and an Oakland pedestrian accident lawyer will help you seek fair compensation for your losses. You can also read on for details about these incidents.
Additional Data on Pedestrian Crashes in Oakland: OTS figures reveal some of the causes, contributing factors, and victim demographics.
- In around one-third of all pedestrian accidents that cause severe or fatal injuries, the driver of the motorized vehicle failed to yield right of way.
- More than 15 percent of all pedestrians who are killed or injured are aged 65 years or older.
- Around 37 percent of all victims injured in pedestrian accidents are aged 15 to 34 years old. However, the age group that is most at risk of fatalities is 45 to 64 years old. More than 37 percent of all victims killed in pedestrian crashes fall in this category.
- Data from Oakland officials indicates that speeding, unsafe turns, and red light running are other contributing factors for pedestrian accidents.
Nationwide, more than 6,500 pedestrians are killed in accidents annually and another 55,000 suffer injuries in crashes. For comparison, in California, around 965 people on foot lose their lives and more than 14,550 are hurt.
Damages for Victims of Pedestrian Collisions: Compensation in any traffic accident claim is based upon the victim’s losses, which include all implications stemming from the injuries. There are two categories for pedestrian accident cases:
- Economic damages are the tangible, definite losses you sustain. You incur medical bills and may lose income if you cannot work. It is possible to recover compensation for these and other out-of-pocket expenses.
- Noneconomic damages are subjective because they are based upon how your injuries affect you personally. Your quality of life suffers when hurt, so you can seek compensation for these consequences. Examples of noneconomic damages include pain and suffering and emotional distress.
Our Oakland Pedestrian Accident Attorneys Will Assist with the Legal Process
For more information on your rights after being injured while walking, please contact Venardi Zurada, LLP at our offices in Oakland, or Walnut Creek, CA. We can schedule a no-cost case assessment with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer who will advise you on how the process works.