8 Danger Zones and the Risks of Teen Driver Accidents in California
There is a popular perception of teen drivers as risk takers who are dangerous behind the wheel, but scientific evidence does support this conclusion. The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reports that car accidents are the leading cause of death for teens, at a rate of approximately six fatalities per day among those aged 16-19 years old. Some auto crashes may be due to another driver’s careless actions, but the CDC has pinpointed “8 Danger Zones” that tend to affect teens disproportionately compared to adults.
Fortunately, you do have rights as an injured victim regardless of the age of the negligent driver, and an Oakland car accident attorney can explain your remedies in more detail. Plus, whether you seek to protect yourself as a motorist or safeguard your teen, it is important to become familiar with the 8 Danger Zones.
- Less Experience: Teens simply do not have as much time behind the wheel, which is a factor that can only be improved through practice. Parents can do their part by setting aside time for doing ride-alongs in many different types of driving conditions.
- Distracted Driving: Texting, talking on the phone, engaging on social media, and related activities are popular among teens, so it is probably not a surprise to learn that distracted driving is a key danger zone.
- Teen Passengers: Another form of distraction for teens is interacting with other passengers around their age group. The younger driver may not be completely focused on operating the vehicle when he or she is talking, laughing, or singing along to music.
- Not Wearing a Seatbelt: Buckling up does not reduce the potential for accidents, but wearing a proper safety harness can prevent fatalities and lessen the severity of injuries. Seatbelt usage among teens is unfortunately lower than many other age groups.
- Nighttime Driving: The main issue with driving at night is reduced visibility, which affects motorists of all ages. However, when combined with the average teen driver’s lack of experience, the risk of vehicle crashes is heightened.
- Drowsy Driving: Long school days, extracurricular activities, and homework take their toll on teens, who may not know their bodies well enough to understand the impact of fatigue.
- Recklessness: At an age when they are trying to impress friends, teens may be tempted to tailgate other motorists, drag race, or engage in other forms of recklessness.
- Drunk or Drugged Driving: Though it is illegal for teens to drink, and unlawful for anyone to drink and drive, impairment is another danger zone. Intoxication is a factor in almost 1 in 5 fatal accidents involving teen drivers.
Contact Our Oakland Car Accident Lawyers for Legal Help
If you were hurt in any type of auto crash that was not your fault, it is important to reach out to a skilled attorney for assistance with your legal options. For more information, please contact the Oakland car accident attorneys at Venardi Zurada, LLP to set up a free consultation. We can meet with you at our offices to discuss the claims process.
You can be confident in relying on our zealous and effective Oakland personal injury lawyers:
We have served Northern California for over 35 years.
Our attorneys have been honored with numerous accolades, including SuperLawyers, AV Rating, and Top 100 Trial Attorney Awards.
In our decades of legal service to the community, we have garnered a substantial reputation. We are respected by opposing counsel, feared by insurance companies, and followed by jurors.
We combine Big Firm experience with boutique office attention and care. Several of our attorneys have experience working for the biggest law firms in the country, including the most prominent maritime defense law firm. Our attorneys rely on that big-firm know-how but prefer the personal touch of a smaller firm, allowing us to provide individualized and attentive representation to each of our clients.
We’ve been through it, too. Attorney Mark Venardi had to personally deal with a medical malpractice injury he suffered at a time when he was working a blue-collar job on an offshore oil rig; he knows what it’s like to be a working man dealing with a personal injury. He built his way up to working for the biggest maritime defense firm in the country, before deciding to focus on helping people like himself who were hurt by negligence and mistreatment from others.
We like to fight for the underdog. Attorney Martin Zurada is an immigrant and the son of immigrants who tirelessly worked his way up through education and experience to attain the American dream. Even though he has served in large, high-level litigation law firms, he prefers helping clients directly, fighting against injustices, and securing victories for the little guy who has been wronged.
We win. We have secured multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. In our combined tenure, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients across our broad areas of practice.
We care first and foremost about our clients. We dedicate ourselves to serve each and every client personally, and we make ourselves available to our clients around the clock.
There is no cost to you until we win. If we don’t make a recovery for you, we will not collect a fee. And all initial consultations are free of charge.
Dedicated Areas of Practice
We offer a wide range of litigation services for Oakland personal injury and employment law clients. Specifically, our areas of dedicated practice span the following issues:
Employment Law. California employers must assure proper pay to employees and comply with a variety of rules and regulations to prevent discrimination and unfair treatment of employees. We represent victims of wage and hour violations, employment discrimination, workplace harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and any other form of California workplace mistreatment. If you believe you were treated inappropriately at work, we can help.
Personal Injury. If you’ve been injured due to another’s negligence, you deserve compensation. That’s where we come in. As Oakland personal injury attorneys, we right the wrongs done to our clients. And we do it at our cost during the entire duration of your case. There is never any fee until we win. Give us a call if you have been hurt in a car accident, by a toxic spill or contamination, as a result of medical malpractice, due to abuse or neglect, in a maritime accident, by a vicious animal attack, or any other incident caused by someone else’s negligence.
The Sooner You Speak to an Oakland Injury Lawyer, the Stronger Your Chances for Recovery Will Become.
Contact the Oakland injury lawyers at Venardi Zurada today, and let’s get started. We are available to talk any time, so whether you call, email or chat online, we’ll respond and set up an appointment to meet you. We have several Spanish speakers in the office and welcome the opportunity to cater our services to Oakland’s Spanish-speaking population. You pay no fee until we win for you, so you have nothing to lose by contacting our office for a free consultation. The sooner you call, the faster we can start getting results for you. Call 925-937-3900.