4 Quick Facts About Auto Accidents Involving Oakland Rental Cars
While 2020 was certainly a hiccup from a California tourism point of view, statistics demonstrate that the industry is still very strong and expected to recover multi-fold in the coming months. Visit California reported on the economic implications of tourism and visitor spending, and many key indicators are up: There have been increases in visitor arrivals on domestic flights and direct travel spending, which totaled almost $145 billion in 2019. This information is more than just interesting trivia when you realize that more travelers also means more vehicles on the road, many of which are rental cars. The spike in traffic volume, combined with visitors navigating unfamiliar roads, means car accidents involving rental vehicles will be more likely.
You should always rely on an Oakland car accident attorney if you are hurt in any type of crash, though rental car collisions present unique challenges. Reviewing these four quick facts may help you understand some basic points.
- The same rules about fault apply when one vehicle is a rental. Regardless of ownership versus leasing an auto, liability in a motor vehicle accident comes down to negligence. You must prove that the other driver failed to exercise reasonable care, and this breach of duty was the direct cause of the collision. Typically, the legal process starts by filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance company, but you may need to go to court if you cannot settle with the insurer.
- Insurance issues can be complicated. Knowing that your first step is filing an insurance claim, you should understand a few points about insurance and rental cars:
- If YOU are the renter and were injured in a crash, you still file your claim with the responsible motorist’s insurer.
- When you are in your own car and were injured in a crash with a renting motorist, you also pursue the at-fault driver. However, you might be filing your claim with that individual’s personal auto insurance OR under an insurance policy the renter added in the rental contract.
- The rental car company is not liable – usually. You will not be able to seek damages from the rental company in most cases, whether you were injured IN or BY one of its vehicles. The exception is where the company was negligent in operating its business, such as by failing to make repairs, conduct routine maintenance, or regularly inspect fleet vehicles.
- It is a mistake to talk to any insurance adjuster involved in the claim. It does not matter whether you are dealing with an insurance company for the at-fault motorist or the rental company’s insurer, you should not discuss the accident with a claims adjuster. Other than to confirm your contact information, decline to answer questions or make any statements.
Discuss Rental Car Collisions with an Oakland Car Accident Lawyer
These facts about rental vehicle accidents may be useful, but knowing this information is not enough when you are pursuing your legal rights as an injured victim. You need solid legal representation, and our team at Venardi Zurada, LLP can help with all available remedies. To set up a free consultation with an attorney, please contact our offices in Oakland, Orinda, or Redding, CA.
You can be confident in relying on our zealous and effective Oakland personal injury lawyers:
We have served Northern California for over 35 years.
Our attorneys have been honored with numerous accolades, including SuperLawyers, AV Rating, and Top 100 Trial Attorney Awards.
In our decades of legal service to the community, we have garnered a substantial reputation. We are respected by opposing counsel, feared by insurance companies, and followed by jurors.
We combine Big Firm experience with boutique office attention and care. Several of our attorneys have experience working for the biggest law firms in the country, including the most prominent maritime defense law firm. Our attorneys rely on that big-firm know-how but prefer the personal touch of a smaller firm, allowing us to provide individualized and attentive representation to each of our clients.
We’ve been through it, too. Attorney Mark Venardi had to personally deal with a medical malpractice injury he suffered at a time when he was working a blue-collar job on an offshore oil rig; he knows what it’s like to be a working man dealing with a personal injury. He built his way up to working for the biggest maritime defense firm in the country, before deciding to focus on helping people like himself who were hurt by negligence and mistreatment from others.
We like to fight for the underdog. Attorney Martin Zurada is an immigrant and the son of immigrants who tirelessly worked his way up through education and experience to attain the American dream. Even though he has served in large, high-level litigation law firms, he prefers helping clients directly, fighting against injustices, and securing victories for the little guy who has been wronged.
We win. We have secured multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. In our combined tenure, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients across our broad areas of practice.
We care first and foremost about our clients. We dedicate ourselves to serve each and every client personally, and we make ourselves available to our clients around the clock.
There is no cost to you until we win. If we don’t make a recovery for you, we will not collect a fee. And all initial consultations are free of charge.
Dedicated Areas of Practice
We offer a wide range of litigation services for Oakland personal injury and employment law clients. Specifically, our areas of dedicated practice span the following issues:
Employment Law. California employers must assure proper pay to employees and comply with a variety of rules and regulations to prevent discrimination and unfair treatment of employees. We represent victims of wage and hour violations, employment discrimination, workplace harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and any other form of California workplace mistreatment. If you believe you were treated inappropriately at work, we can help.
Personal Injury. If you’ve been injured due to another’s negligence, you deserve compensation. That’s where we come in. As Oakland personal injury attorneys, we right the wrongs done to our clients. And we do it at our cost during the entire duration of your case. There is never any fee until we win. Give us a call if you have been hurt in a car accident, by a toxic spill or contamination, as a result of medical malpractice, due to abuse or neglect, in a maritime accident, by a vicious animal attack, or any other incident caused by someone else’s negligence.
The Sooner You Speak to an Oakland Injury Lawyer, the Stronger Your Chances for Recovery Will Become.
Contact the Oakland injury lawyers at Venardi Zurada today, and let’s get started. We are available to talk any time, so whether you call, email or chat online, we’ll respond and set up an appointment to meet you. We have several Spanish speakers in the office and welcome the opportunity to cater our services to Oakland’s Spanish-speaking population. You pay no fee until we win for you, so you have nothing to lose by contacting our office for a free consultation. The sooner you call, the faster we can start getting results for you. Call 925-937-3900.