Avoid the Top 5 Causes of Car Accidents in Oakland
It’s shocking to learn that there are more than 485,000 car accidents in California every year, but it’s even more disturbing to learn about the top reasons these crashes occur. The results of the California Traffic Safety Survey 2018 show us the most frequent safety problems that lead to auto wrecks. It turns out that the vast majority of car accidents are entirely preventable.
Fortunately, you do have legal remedies under California law if you were injured in such a collision. You may be able to recover compensation for your losses by proving that the other motorist failed to exercise reasonable care when driving and directly caused the crash.
While you can trust your Oakland car accident attorney to handle your claim, you may benefit from knowing some of the most common causes of auto crashes – and how you can avoid them.
- Distracted Driving: It’s against the law to text, talk, post to social media, or use your phone in other ways, while behind the wheel of a car. However, many motorists ignore the rules. Always put your phone away, even completely out of reach if possible. In addition, don’t engage in other forms of distracted driving, like eating, searching for items in your car, playing with the infotainment system, and other unsafe activities. Be on the lookout for drivers who are doing these things because chances are they are too distracted to see you.
- Red Light Running: Many motorists will drive through a light that’s turned yellow or completely ignore a red light, especially when in a hurry. To protect yourself, use caution when you are stopped at or approaching an intersection when your light has just gone to green. A careless driver may be coming the other way.
- Drunk and Drugged Driving: This cause of California auto crashes is another example of motorists breaking the law and putting others at risk. Never drive drunk or under the influence of drugs because you ability to drive, see and react would be severely impaired. If you observe another driver swerving, erratically changing lanes, or engaging in other suspicious conduct, steer clear or pull over safely, and call law enforcement.
- Speeding: Authorities set speed limits for a reason, whether because of traffic congestion, the presence of children, road conditions, or other factors. Driving too fast to save a few minutes is not worth the risk to you and others. Always comply with signage and watch out for motorists who drive faster than the posted limit. It’s better to let them pass than put yourself in harm’s way.
- Improper Turns: There are many different scenarios that can lead to unsafe turn maneuvers, such as not using a turn signal, disregarding the law in a no-passing zone, or making an illegal left turn. Stay safe by always using your blinker and anticipating the moves of other motorists. When you only see brake lights ahead of you, it could mean that the motorist is turning but forgot to indicate it.
Discuss Your Rights with an Oakland Car Accident Lawyer
You’re less likely to be hurt in an auto collision if you know the top causes and strive to prevent them. However, not all crashes are avoidable when there are negligent drivers on California roads who don’t follow the rules. If you were hurt in an accident, our Oakland car accident attorneys at Venardi Zurada, LLP can assist with the legal process. We’re dedicated to recovering compensation for injured victims, so please contact our firm today. We can set up a free consultation to discuss your options at our offices.