Avoid the Top 5 Causes of Car Accidents in Oakland
It’s shocking to learn that there are more than 485,000 car accidents in California every year, but it’s even more disturbing to learn about the top reasons these crashes occur. The results of the California Traffic Safety Survey 2018 show us the most frequent safety problems that lead to auto wrecks. It turns out that the vast majority of car accidents are entirely preventable.
Fortunately, you do have legal remedies under California law if you were injured in such a collision. You may be able to recover compensation for your losses by proving that the other motorist failed to exercise reasonable care when driving and directly caused the crash.
While you can trust your Oakland car accident attorney to handle your claim, you may benefit from knowing some of the most common causes of auto crashes – and how you can avoid them.
- Distracted Driving: It’s against the law to text, talk, post to social media, or use your phone in other ways, while behind the wheel of a car. However, many motorists ignore the rules. Always put your phone away, even completely out of reach if possible. In addition, don’t engage in other forms of distracted driving, like eating, searching for items in your car, playing with the infotainment system, and other unsafe activities. Be on the lookout for drivers who are doing these things because chances are they are too distracted to see you.
- Red Light Running: Many motorists will drive through a light that’s turned yellow or completely ignore a red light, especially when in a hurry. To protect yourself, use caution when you are stopped at or approaching an intersection when your light has just gone to green. A careless driver may be coming the other way.
- Drunk and Drugged Driving: This cause of California auto crashes is another example of motorists breaking the law and putting others at risk. Never drive drunk or under the influence of drugs because you ability to drive, see and react would be severely impaired. If you observe another driver swerving, erratically changing lanes, or engaging in other suspicious conduct, steer clear or pull over safely, and call law enforcement.
- Speeding: Authorities set speed limits for a reason, whether because of traffic congestion, the presence of children, road conditions, or other factors. Driving too fast to save a few minutes is not worth the risk to you and others. Always comply with signage and watch out for motorists who drive faster than the posted limit. It’s better to let them pass than put yourself in harm’s way.
- Improper Turns: There are many different scenarios that can lead to unsafe turn maneuvers, such as not using a turn signal, disregarding the law in a no-passing zone, or making an illegal left turn. Stay safe by always using your blinker and anticipating the moves of other motorists. When you only see brake lights ahead of you, it could mean that the motorist is turning but forgot to indicate it.
Discuss Your Rights with an Oakland Car Accident Lawyer
You’re less likely to be hurt in an auto collision if you know the top causes and strive to prevent them. However, not all crashes are avoidable when there are negligent drivers on California roads who don’t follow the rules. If you were hurt in an accident, our Oakland car accident attorneys at Venardi Zurada, LLP can assist with the legal process. We’re dedicated to recovering compensation for injured victims, so please contact our firm today. We can set up a free consultation to discuss your options at our offices.
You can be confident in relying on our zealous and effective Oakland injury lawyers:
We have served Northern California for over 35 years.
Our attorneys have been honored with numerous accolades, including SuperLawyers, AV Rating, and Top 100 Trial Attorney Awards.
In our decades of legal service to the community, we have garnered a substantial reputation. We are respected by opposing counsel, feared by insurance companies, and followed by jurors.
We combine Big Firm experience with boutique office attention and care. Several of our attorneys have experience working for the biggest law firms in the country, including the most prominent maritime defense law firm. Our attorneys rely on that big-firm know-how but prefer the personal touch of a smaller firm, allowing us to provide individualized and attentive representation to each of our clients.
We’ve been through it, too. Attorney Mark Venardi had to personally deal with a medical malpractice injury he suffered at a time when he was working a blue-collar job on an offshore oil rig; he knows what it’s like to be a working man dealing with a personal injury. He built his way up to working for the biggest maritime defense firm in the country, before deciding to focus on helping people like himself who were hurt by negligence and mistreatment from others.
We like to fight for the underdog. Attorney Martin Zurada is an immigrant and the son of immigrants who tirelessly worked his way up through education and experience to attain the American dream. Even though he has served in large, high-level litigation law firms, he prefers helping clients directly, fighting against injustices, and securing victories for the little guy who has been wronged.
We win. We have secured multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. In our combined tenure, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients across our broad areas of practice.
We care first and foremost about our clients. We dedicate ourselves to serve each and every client personally, and we make ourselves available to our clients around the clock.
There is no cost to you until we win. If we don’t make a recovery for you, we will not collect a fee. And all initial consultations are free of charge.
Dedicated Areas of Practice
We offer a wide range of litigation services for Oakland personal injury and employment law clients. Specifically, our areas of dedicated practice span the following issues:
Employment Law. California employers must assure proper pay to employees and comply with a variety of rules and regulations to prevent discrimination and unfair treatment of employees. We represent victims of wage and hour violations, employment discrimination, workplace harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and any other form of California workplace mistreatment. If you believe you were treated inappropriately at work, we can help.
Personal Injury. If you’ve been injured due to another’s negligence, you deserve compensation. That’s where we come in. As Oakland personal injury attorneys, we right the wrongs done to our clients. And we do it at our cost during the entire duration of your case. There is never any fee until we win. Give us a call if you have been hurt in a car accident, by a toxic spill or contamination, as a result of medical malpractice, due to abuse or neglect, in a maritime accident, by a vicious animal attack, or any other incident caused by someone else’s negligence.
The Sooner You Speak to an Oakland Injury Lawyer, the Stronger Your Chances for Recovery Will Become.
Contact the Oakland injury lawyers at Venardi Zurada today, and let’s get started. We are available to talk any time, so whether you call, email or chat online, we’ll respond and set up an appointment to meet you. We have several Spanish speakers in the office and welcome the opportunity to cater our services to Oakland’s Spanish-speaking population. You pay no fee until we win for you, so you have nothing to lose by contacting our office for a free consultation. The sooner you call, the faster we can start getting results for you. Call 925-937-3900.