5 Most Common Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect in California
When you assist a loved one in choosing a nursing home in California, you trust the facility to comply with its contractual and legal duties to provide protection, safety, and proper care. It is horrific to think that an assisted living center would shirk these obligations, but abuse and neglect are common in these settings. Even worse, instances of mistreatment are difficult to quantify due to reporting issues with such a vulnerable group of individuals. The National Center on Elder Abuse reveals that there are multiple types of nursing home abuse and neglect, but research is inconclusive on what occurs most frequently.
The truth is that ALL forms of misconduct against an assisted living resident are unlawful and may give rise to legal action, which many individuals will pursue on behalf of their loved one. You should discuss your circumstances with an Oakland nursing home abuse and neglect attorney, but be on the lookout for:
- Physical Mistreatment: Intentional attacks and acts causing trauma are the most visible forms of nursing home abuse, which may include hitting, slapping, or punching. However, other misconduct is subtle, such as when an employee uses excessive force when handling or transferring a resident from a bed. Note that illegal use of restraints, straps, and ties is also considered physical mistreatment.
- Psychological Abuse: A less obvious type of misconduct in assisted living centers involves emotional cruelty and infliction of psychological harm. Examples include name calling, making demeaning comments, and yelling or shouting at a resident. Employees may also employ threats as psychological abuse, such as warnings about:
- Moving the resident to an isolated area;
- Preventing loved ones from visiting;
- Taking away transportation or privileges; and,
- Many others.
- Sexual Misconduct: This category of nursing home abuse encompasses sexual penetration, but it may also include unwanted, offensive touching of a sexual nature. Physical symptoms may include injuries around the genitals, but you should also be observant if your loved one experiences frequent urinary tract infections or is diagnosed with a sexually transmitted disease.
- Financial Exploitation: Employees of a nursing home may gain financial control over the resident’s assets or income, at times through misuse of powers of attorney. While your loved one may not suffer physical injury, financial harm can ruin his or her future.
- Nursing Home Neglect: When an assisted living center is negligent in providing care, the damage can be just as significant as intentional forms of abuse. Understaffing is a particular problem, leading to failures in administering medications, sanitary issues, infection, and serious medical problems.
Our Oakland Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Lawyers Can Assist with Your Legal Options
If you suspect any of the above types of mistreatment in a California assisted living facility, it is essential to get in touch with our Oakland nursing home abuse attorneys at Venardi Zurada, LLP right away. We can set up a free consultation at our offices during which we can discuss getting your loved one to safety and explain the legal remedies that may be available in your situation.
You can be confident in relying on our zealous and effective Oakland personal injury lawyers:
We have served Northern California for over 35 years.
Our attorneys have been honored with numerous accolades, including SuperLawyers, AV Rating, and Top 100 Trial Attorney Awards.
In our decades of legal service to the community, we have garnered a substantial reputation. We are respected by opposing counsel, feared by insurance companies, and followed by jurors.
We combine Big Firm experience with boutique office attention and care. Several of our attorneys have experience working for the biggest law firms in the country, including the most prominent maritime defense law firm. Our attorneys rely on that big-firm know-how but prefer the personal touch of a smaller firm, allowing us to provide individualized and attentive representation to each of our clients.
We’ve been through it, too. Attorney Mark Venardi had to personally deal with a medical malpractice injury he suffered at a time when he was working a blue-collar job on an offshore oil rig; he knows what it’s like to be a working man dealing with a personal injury. He built his way up to working for the biggest maritime defense firm in the country, before deciding to focus on helping people like himself who were hurt by negligence and mistreatment from others.
We like to fight for the underdog. Attorney Martin Zurada is an immigrant and the son of immigrants who tirelessly worked his way up through education and experience to attain the American dream. Even though he has served in large, high-level litigation law firms, he prefers helping clients directly, fighting against injustices, and securing victories for the little guy who has been wronged.
We win. We have secured multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. In our combined tenure, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients across our broad areas of practice.
We care first and foremost about our clients. We dedicate ourselves to serve each and every client personally, and we make ourselves available to our clients around the clock.
There is no cost to you until we win. If we don’t make a recovery for you, we will not collect a fee. And all initial consultations are free of charge.
Dedicated Areas of Practice
We offer a wide range of litigation services for Oakland personal injury and employment law clients. Specifically, our areas of dedicated practice span the following issues:
Employment Law. California employers must assure proper pay to employees and comply with a variety of rules and regulations to prevent discrimination and unfair treatment of employees. We represent victims of wage and hour violations, employment discrimination, workplace harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and any other form of California workplace mistreatment. If you believe you were treated inappropriately at work, we can help.
Personal Injury. If you’ve been injured due to another’s negligence, you deserve compensation. That’s where we come in. As Oakland personal injury attorneys, we right the wrongs done to our clients. And we do it at our cost during the entire duration of your case. There is never any fee until we win. Give us a call if you have been hurt in a car accident, by a toxic spill or contamination, as a result of medical malpractice, due to abuse or neglect, in a maritime accident, by a vicious animal attack, or any other incident caused by someone else’s negligence.
The Sooner You Speak to an Oakland Injury Lawyer, the Stronger Your Chances for Recovery Will Become.
Contact the Oakland injury lawyers at Venardi Zurada today, and let’s get started. We are available to talk any time, so whether you call, email or chat online, we’ll respond and set up an appointment to meet you. We have several Spanish speakers in the office and welcome the opportunity to cater our services to Oakland’s Spanish-speaking population. You pay no fee until we win for you, so you have nothing to lose by contacting our office for a free consultation. The sooner you call, the faster we can start getting results for you. Call 925-937-3900.