Oakland Race & Color Discrimination Lawyer
Racial Discrimination in the Workplace Is Against the Law. Know Your Rights.
Race discrimination is treating individuals differently in their employment because of their race. Racial harassment is subjecting individuals to an offensive work environment based on their race. If you have been rejected for employment, fired, or otherwise harmed in your employment because of your race, you may have suffered race discrimination. If you have been ridiculed, mistreated, or subjected to offensive comments or actions because of your race, then you may have suffered racial harassment, contact our experienced Oakland race & color discrimination lawyers today.
Examples of Racial Discrimination in the Workplace
It is impossible to list every form of discriminatory or harassing conduct that occurs at work, but here are some examples:
- Hiring: You apply for a job for which you are qualified but you are not hired because some of the company’s long-time clients are not comfortable dealing with African Americans.
- Firing: You are told that you are being laid off because of company cutbacks and reorganization, while white employees with the same job and with less seniority than you keep their jobs.
- Promotion: You have worked for your company for several years, receiving exemplary reviews and an employee-of-the-year award, yet each of the five times you have applied for promotions, the positions you applied for are instead filled by less qualified people of a different race.
- Pay: You worked your way up from the position of executive assistant to project manager. A white project manager with similar training and work experience was recently hired, and you find out that he will be paid more than you. You are a top salesperson for your company, but are moved to a less desirable territory because it is a minority neighborhood, while another white employee with much lower sales is given your territory and client base, enabling him to make much more in commissions than you will make for several years.
- Job Classification: You work at a company that has an eight-tier job classification system; your responsibilities have increased over time, but your job classification and pay has remained stagnant; white colleagues have their job classification and pay adjusted to reflect their increased responsibilities.
- Harassment: One of your coworkers thinks it’s “funny” to use the “n word” in conversation and to tell jokes insulting blacks, Latinos, Asians, and other minorities; these comments make you very uncomfortable, and you’ve asked him to stop, but he tells you that you need to get a sense of humor. The boss tells you to ignore him, but doesn’t talk to or discipline your coworker for his harassing behavior.
If something similar has happened to you at work, your employment rights may have been violated and you may have been subjected to race discrimination and/or harassment. Some workers who are experiencing race discrimination may also experience other forms of illegal discrimination as well, such as age, sex, or disability discrimination. If you are a victim of race discrimination or harassment, the law is on your side. You can take legal action against your employer to right this wrong.
Venardi Zurada LLP is a firm serving California. We are experienced and effective attorneys who work on a contingency basis meaning that you do not pay us until we recover money for you. We offer free consultations to evaluate whether or not you have a legal claim for racial discrimination or harassment.
Get a Free Case Review
If you are an employee who feels their rights have been violated, or you need help negotiating or reviewing your employee contract, please call to speak to one of our expert Oakland race & color discrimination lawyers at 925-937-3900 or submit our form.
You can be confident in relying on our zealous and effective Oakland personal injury lawyers:
We have served Northern California for over 35 years.
Our attorneys have been honored with numerous accolades, including SuperLawyers, AV Rating, and Top 100 Trial Attorney Awards.
In our decades of legal service to the community, we have garnered a substantial reputation. We are respected by opposing counsel, feared by insurance companies, and followed by jurors.
We combine Big Firm experience with boutique office attention and care. Several of our attorneys have experience working for the biggest law firms in the country, including the most prominent maritime defense law firm. Our attorneys rely on that big-firm know-how but prefer the personal touch of a smaller firm, allowing us to provide individualized and attentive representation to each of our clients.
We’ve been through it, too. Attorney Mark Venardi had to personally deal with a medical malpractice injury he suffered at a time when he was working a blue-collar job on an offshore oil rig; he knows what it’s like to be a working man dealing with a personal injury. He built his way up to working for the biggest maritime defense firm in the country, before deciding to focus on helping people like himself who were hurt by negligence and mistreatment from others.
We like to fight for the underdog. Attorney Martin Zurada is an immigrant and the son of immigrants who tirelessly worked his way up through education and experience to attain the American dream. Even though he has served in large, high-level litigation law firms, he prefers helping clients directly, fighting against injustices, and securing victories for the little guy who has been wronged.
We win. We have secured multi-million dollar verdicts and settlements. In our combined tenure, we have recovered tens of millions of dollars for our clients across our broad areas of practice.
We care first and foremost about our clients. We dedicate ourselves to serve each and every client personally, and we make ourselves available to our clients around the clock.
There is no cost to you until we win. If we don’t make a recovery for you, we will not collect a fee. And all initial consultations are free of charge.
Dedicated Areas of Practice
We offer a wide range of litigation services for Oakland personal injury and employment law clients. Specifically, our areas of dedicated practice span the following issues:
Employment Law. California employers must assure proper pay to employees and comply with a variety of rules and regulations to prevent discrimination and unfair treatment of employees. We represent victims of wage and hour violations, employment discrimination, workplace harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, and any other form of California workplace mistreatment. If you believe you were treated inappropriately at work, we can help.
Personal Injury. If you’ve been injured due to another’s negligence, you deserve compensation. That’s where we come in. As Oakland personal injury attorneys, we right the wrongs done to our clients. And we do it at our cost during the entire duration of your case. There is never any fee until we win. Give us a call if you have been hurt in a car accident, by a toxic spill or contamination, as a result of medical malpractice, due to abuse or neglect, in a maritime accident, by a vicious animal attack, or any other incident caused by someone else’s negligence.
The Sooner You Speak to an Oakland Injury Lawyer, the Stronger Your Chances for Recovery Will Become.
Contact the Oakland injury lawyers at Venardi Zurada today, and let’s get started. We are available to talk any time, so whether you call, email or chat online, we’ll respond and set up an appointment to meet you. We have several Spanish speakers in the office and welcome the opportunity to cater our services to Oakland’s Spanish-speaking population. You pay no fee until we win for you, so you have nothing to lose by contacting our office for a free consultation. The sooner you call, the faster we can start getting results for you. Call 925-937-3900.