Walnut Creek Neglect & Abuse Lawyer
There are many private organizations and public agencies in California that are entrusted to care for some of the most vulnerable individuals in society, including the elderly, disabled adults, and children. It is horrific to think that entities would resort to neglect or abuse in these environments, but statistics reveal some disturbing facts. It is estimated that approximately 1 in 10 adults suffers from some form of misconduct every year, while up to 28 percent of children in foster care have experienced abuse. However, official statistics underestimate the true nature of the problem and the severe physical, financial, and emotional harm that results.
California law does provide victims of neglect and abuse with options, and our team at Venardi Zurada LLP is prepared to hold all potential parties responsible for such mistreatment. Please contact our firm to set up a no-cost case evaluation with a Walnut Creek neglect & abuse lawyer. Some background information may also be helpful in covering the basics.
Overview of California Neglect and Abuse Laws
At the outset, you should note that abuse refers to intentional misconduct against victims. Physical abuse, sexual assault, emotional mistreatment are deliberate attacks that cause injuries and psychological harm. Neglect is carelessness by a person or entity that has a legal duty to protect an individual. Victims have legal remedies with respect to each form of mistreatment, as abuse and neglect can lead to injuries, psychological harm, and many other losses.
Some signs of abuse and neglect include:
- Bruises, lacerations, and abrasions;
- Bed sores and pressure ulcers;
- Sexually transmitted diseases and urinary tract infections;
- Pregnancy in minors of child-bearing age;
- Improper use of physical restraints; and
- Dirty, unsanitary conditions in common areas and resident rooms.
Legal Remedies for Victims of Neglect and Abuse
As a type of personal injury claim, victims may qualify to recover for medical costs, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and many other losses. Venardi Zurada LLP will fight to ensure you receive fair compensation through settlement, but we will take your case to court as necessary to obtain the damages you deserve under California law.
Our Walnut Creek neglect and abuse attorneys are also prepared to overcome key challenges with these cases, such as:
- In the case of residents with memory loss, we must employ investigative strategies for gathering evidence.
- For victims who were minors, we can explain how statute of limitations works for sexual abuse.
- Many abuse and neglect cases involve numerous parties, including an insurance company, administrators, nursing homes, and foster care agencies. In some cases, it is necessary to pursue a government agency, an additional layer of complexity that impacts your rights.
You Can Rely on a Walnut Creek Neglect and Abuse Lawyer
Time is of the essence if you have concerns about a loved one suffering from misconduct in a nursing home, foster care, or similar situation. Our attorneys at Venardi Zurada LLP will advocate for your family through a California neglect and abuse claim, so please call 925-937-3900 or go online to schedule a complimentary case review right away.