Oakland 18 Wheeler Accident Lawyer
Accidents involving 18 wheelers and other large trucks are truly devastating. The National Safety Council (NSC) points out how large trucks are disproportionately involved in fatal collisions on highways given their weight and size. Whether you were injured in a crash or lost a loved one in a trucking wreck, an Oakland 18 wheeler accident lawyer at our firm can help.
Steps to Take After an Oakland 18 Wheeler Collision
Many large truck crashes, as we have noted above, result in debilitating and fatal injuries. In such cases, it may be impossible to take any steps in advance of filing a claim given the severity of your injuries. However, if you are able to do so, it is important to take a number of steps to ensure that you maintain your ability to seek and receive financial compensation after an 18 wheeler crash:
- Take photographs at the scene of the accident, documenting as much as you possibly can and from a variety of distances and angles, including property damage and physical injuries;
- Obtain contact information for witnesses and for anybody else involved in the crash, and be sure to collect insurance information and other relevant materials for anyone who was involved in the accident;
- Get medical attention as quickly as possible, recognizing that injuries that worsen as a result of a failure to get fast health care can result in the at-fault driver arguing that your damages award should be reduced due to your own negligence;
- Report the crash to your own auto insurer if you were driving a passenger vehicle at the time of the collision, but recognize that the insurance company is not on your side and is not in a position to advocate for you, so stick to objective information and do not discuss fault; and
- Find an experienced and aggressive 18 wheeler accident attorney in Oakland who can begin working with you immediately on your case.
When large truck accidents happen, it may be possible to sue more than one party for your injuries. For example, while the truck driver’s negligence might have been the proximate cause of the collision, the trucking company or the owner of the truck, along with other parties may also bear responsibility for the crash and may need to pay damages.
Damages in an Oakland 18 Wheeler Accident Case
If you were seriously injured in an 18 wheeler crash, or if you lost a loved one in a collision, you are likely wondering about the damages that may be available if you file a claim. Generally speaking, you may be eligible for two kinds of compensatory damages: economic (or pecuniary) damages that can pay you for actual losses, and non-economic damages that can compensate you for more subjective losses like pain and suffering.
Contact an Oakland 18 Wheeler Crash Lawyer Today
If you were injured in a collision involving an 18 wheeler, or if you lost a loved one in a large trucking crash, it is critical to seek advice from one of our experienced Oakland 18 wheeler accident lawyers to learn more about filing a claim for compensation. We know how devastating these cases can be, and we are here to assist you. Contact Venardi Zurada for more information.